Re: Upcoming merge of adaptive-wrap

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Upcoming merge of adaptive-wrap
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:59:20 -0800

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> On 27/01/2024 05:58, Po Lu wrote:
>> Is this meant to imply that selecting "Help -> Emacs News", then typing
>> `C-x d' is non-trivial?  What about reading the manual, or any other of
>> Emacs's built-in facilities for assisting users?
>
> It's an order of a magnitude more involved than 'M-x list-packages'
> followed by C-s.

Yeah, I don't think anyone will reach for `C-x d' in NEWS unless they
already know all about these files and how they are typically installed.
Most users don't know that.

In fact, I doubt that more than a fraction of users even read NEWS.  We
have discussed this in the past, but we don't know that there is
anything to be done about it.  Similarly, no one reads our very fine
documentation.

For these reasons, we must use multiple strategies to make features more
discoverable.  There is no silver bullet.

Therefore, I think Dmitry is right in insisting that we should continue
looking for ways to make built-in features more discoverable.  I propose
that we continue thinking about it, and stay open to new ideas.