Re: ELPA git repo contains zero-padded file modes and running ~$ make fa

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ELPA git repo contains zero-padded file modes and running ~$ make fails
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 22:16:33 -0500

> As long as we keep them all in the repository, it's very likely that
> we'll end up with bad commits in either GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA.

Then again, it should only bite when doing a clone of the whole
repositor(y|ies), which corresponds to making a clone of each and every
package and that would suffer the same fate if they were kept in
separate branches.

IOW, the main difference is that it's easier to accidentally clone the
whole repository rather than just the few packages you're after.

> Is there something we could add to our scripts to avoid this from
> happening in the future?  I'm thinking of adding a `git fsck` to our
> scripts before pushing a branch to Savannah, or something.  Not sure
> what's needed.

We already have:

    [transfer]
            fsckObjects = true

in the `.gitconfig` of the thingy doing the mirroring of
upstream branches.  But apparently it didn't catch those badDateOverflow
issues (apparently they're not checked in a systematic fashion?).

        Stefan