Proposing new function for basic editing

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
Subject: Proposing new function for basic editing
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 08:05:33 +0100

Hi,
I really don't know if this is useful for more people or it's just me. In the elisp I write, I have ended up more than once wrapping the point or the active region with two strings.

I normally use a yasnippet for this, so I really don't use elisp ;-)

But when I need this for a package, I end up replicating the following function where I need it:

--- cut here ---
(defun surround-region-or-point (before after &optional put-after)
  "Insert `before' before mark or region,
`after' after mark or region and
put mark after `after' if `put-after' is not nil"
  (if (use-region-p)
      (with-restriction (region-beginning) (region-end)
        ;; Insert `before' before region
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (insert before)
        (goto-char (point-max))
        ;; Insert `after' after region
        (if put-after
            (insert after) ; put point after inserted string
          (save-excursion (insert after)))) ; put point after region
    (progn
      (insert before)
      (if put-after
          (insert after) ; put point after both strings
        (save-excursion (insert after)))))) ; put point between strings
--- cut here ---

I was wondering if it would make sense to have this in the emacs lisp library once and for good.

Best, /PA

--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet