Re: Emacs object type hierarchy

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Emacs object type hierarchy
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 14:23:14 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  stefankangas@gmail.com
>> Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:40:56 -0500
>>
>> Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > [1]
>> > <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/plain/doc/lispref/type_hierarchy.jpg?h=feature/type-hierarchy>
>>

>> One thing I forgot to mention I'm not very satisfied of.
>>
>> Unfortunatelly the textual represantation in ascii art does not render
>> very well on a regular terminal size unless trucate-lines is null.
>
> Null or non-nil?

Hi Eli,

Ops sorry non-nil. It does not render well when lines are not truncated.

> And why is it a problem to force some special value
> of truncate-lines?

I don't know if would be acceptable to force trucate-lines non-nil by
default for objects.texi.

>> Maybe a simple table would be just a better option for text?
>
> Could be, but how do you show a DAG in a table?

I think is not possible to show the DAG in a table but we could describe
it with a table like:

| type    | derived types                   |
| integer | bignum fixnum                   |
| symbol  | keyword boolean symbol-with-pos |

Maybe is more readable? I'm not sure ATM what's the best option.

Bests

  Andrea