Re: MINI-PATCH: add how to turn auto-completion in test buffers off

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MINI-PATCH: add how to turn auto-completion in test buffers off
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 14:27:40 +0300

> From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 07:30:10 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  > But is that enough to make the activation/deactivation process so
> different?
>  > I mean. currently, if you want flyspell-mode for a specific mode, you
>  > add
>  > ```
>  > (flyspell-mode 1)
>  > ```
>  > to the hook function with the rest of the customisations for that mode.
>  > Now, for auto-complete it goes the other way round... you need to add code
>  > to disable it and that is confusing (al4m).
>
>  Sorry, I don't see the big difference.  Flyspell-mode is off by
>  default, whereas completion hints are on by default, that's all.
>
> I feel different... The way of turning auto-complete based on ispell off is
> less obvious
> reading/writing the code that turns flyspell on.
>
>  > I missed it... (bad memories from the time when it took place) but yes,
> I'd like to be convinced why this
>  feature
>  > needs to be activated by default.
>
>  Because we considered it to be very useful.
>
> Yes, but there are situations where this feature may discourage people from
> using Emacs... because it
> distracts from the task you are performing, because it produces much more
> additional output that needs
> to be treated by the interface, etc. Once again, all these are distractions.
> In the best case they are a
> nuisance,
> but depending on specific conditions they may lead to a person failing to
> produce a document or even
> worse.

We don't have to agree: this is why you can customize Emacs to work as
you'd like.  The defaults, by contrast, are set to fit what most users
want.  So we will change the default only if enough people come up
complaining about the current default and preferably provide reasons
other than just annoyance.