emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102856: * admin/notes/bzr: Add a

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102856: * admin/notes/bzr: Add an idiot's guide to merging between branches.
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 23:36:12 -0500

> +6) After resolving all conflicts, you might need to run the command
> +again if there are more revisions still to merge.
> +You can commit either before you do this (eg if you had a lot of
> +conflicts to resolve and don't want to get confused), or refrain from
> +committing until bzrmerge has merged all revisions.

BTW, now that I think a bit harder about it, I think that if the merge
conflicts show up after the first merge (bzrmerge alternates between
merging revisions and skipping revisions), then the branch is not quite
in a correct state (i.e. the file's content have been merged, but the
metadata containing the merge history is not yet fully up-to-date): the
difference is temporarily stored in the variable bzrmerge-already-done.
Which means that committing at that point is not a good idea.

We should probably fix bzrmerge.el so that in such a case, before
stopping with "Resolve conflicts manually", it should update
bzr's metadata.

        Stefan