emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r104510: Expose window-tree funct

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r104510: Expose window-tree functions in Elisp.
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 08:37:18 +0200

>> +DEFUN ("window-vchild", Fwindow_vchild, Swindow_vchild, 0, 1, 0,
>> +       doc: /* Return WINDOW's first vertical child window.
>> +WINDOW can be any window and defaults to the selected one.
>> +Return nil if WINDOW has no vertical child.  */)
>
> Could you try to change this docstring so that, additionally to
> "vertical" it mentions some other word that can clarify what is meant.
> E.g. "top" or "bottom".

Maybe we should call these `window-top-child' (`window-left-child') in
the first place and change the structure members in window.h as well?

> Also, window-next is a poor choice since we already have next-window
> (and the docstring only talks about "right", so is there no equivalent
> for vertically-stacked windows?).

As the vchild/hchild functions above these are mostly about traversing
the (window-) tree `window-left-sibling' and `window-right-sibling'
would be probably more appropriate.  OTOH "next" and "prev" seem more
neutral in the sense that they coincide with the layout of such windows
on the screen regardless of whether they are stacked horizontally or
vertically.

martin