emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r106873: Provide persistent windo

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r106873: Provide persistent window parameters.
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:27:59 -0500

> address@hidden window-persistent-parameters
> +This variable is an alist specifying which parameters get saved by
> address@hidden and @code{window-state-get} and
> +subsequently restored by @code{set-window-configuration} and
> address@hidden, see @ref{Window Configurations}.
> +
> +The @sc{car} of each entry of this alist is the symbol specifying the
> +parameter.  The @sc{cdr} must be one of the following:
> +
> address@hidden @asis
> address@hidden @code{state}
> +This value means the parameter is saved by @code{window-state-get}
> +provided its @var{ignore} argument is @code{nil}.  The function
> address@hidden does not save this parameter.
> +
> address@hidden @code{nil}
> +This value specifies that the parameter is saved by
> address@hidden and, provided its @var{ignore}
> +argument is @code{nil}, by @code{window-state-get}.
> +
> address@hidden @code{t}
> +This means that the parameter is saved unconditionally by both
> address@hidden and @code{window-state-get}.  This
> +value should not be used for parameters whose values do not have a read
> +syntax.  Otherwise, invoking @code{window-state-put} in another session
> +may fail with an @code{invalid-read-syntax} error.
> address@hidden table

The issues aren't quite fresh in my memory, but IIRC the three cases we
need are "never save", "always save" and "only save for intra-session
restore because it can't be saved to disk".
But the above seems to do the reverse, i.e. it provides a "only save
inter-session but not intra-session", which is rather weird.  IOW, I'd
have expected the meaning of `state' to be the opposite (save for
current-window-configuration or when `ignore' is non-nil, but not when
ignore is nil since it may un`read'able).
Am I missing something?

        Stefan