Re: [Emacs-orgmode] A remember/notepad add on to org-mode

From: Philip Rooke
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] A remember/notepad add on to org-mode
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:31:12 +0000

>>    ------
>>    TODO Something I really must do
>>    ------
>>    and get an entry like
>>    ------
>>    ** TODO Something I really must do
>>       DEADLINE: <2006-03-13 Mon 10:27>
>
> This would be harder.  How should we guess the date/time for the
> deadline?

This is clearly something related to my own preferred method of time
and task management rather than something I would expect anyone to
agree with.

Having said that the remember interface is, I think, about allowing
you to make a note very quickly whilst concentrating on some other
task.  In this case what I would like to do is automatically capture
the TODO item with a deadline of today (the day I make the note).
This forces the item immediately onto my agenda and then becomes
something I should deal with.  By this I mean I have to deal with the
note today, *not* its implied content.  At some point in the day I put
aside time to go through these "remembered notes" and sort them out:
quickly return a call, pass on the action elsewhere, re-schedule to a
realistic date, copy off to another org file that is dealing with the
issue, re-consider or re-draft a more appropriate action etc....

> 1. modify the remember mechanism, basically giving the user more rope,
> for example along these lines:
>    - by setting a default template that could contain current time
> stamps etc.
>    - calling a hook before and after you edid the remember entry,
> booth hooks could be
>      used to modify the entry
>    - Invoke org-mode for that buffer and install a special key (C-c
> C-c) to get out and file the   entry.  In particular without inserting
> a timestamp after editing, so that TODO entries would remain active.

All potentially sound good to me.

> 2. Doing it the way Charles proposed, but just going to the journal
> file and making that entry by hand.

This similar to what I currently do using a home brewed mixture of
standard Emacs bookmark functionality and escreen (to stop messing up
whatever window configuration I happen to have running).  Not pretty
though.  Would personally prefer something along the lines of 1.

Regards,

Phil