[Emacs-orgmode] Re: XOXO output

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: XOXO output
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 09:57:48 +0200

On Apr 3, 2006, at 14:53, Nic wrote:

Nic,

if it is OK, I am going to include the XOXO exporter in the next test
release of Org-mode.

You may as well go ahead. I'll try and find time to update it to
include all the rest of org-modes output options.

One immediate thing I see now is that I don't think the code will work correctly when the outline jumst levels (for example, going from a level 2 to a level 4 and back again. Looking at the code I think in this case it will only start one new outline level, but close two of them.

Another issue is that I have recently started to make the export an two-stage process. I first copy the entire file to a temporary buffer, where I do some kine of preprocessing. For example I am making all the links to use the now standard [[ ]] format, I am preparing the targets, and I create links from all matches of radio targets. Then, in the second step I do the exporting. maybe it would be good to do these preparatory steps also before exporting to XOXO?

Finally a question. You have said at several points that using a format like XOXO and do little or now structural analysis of what is in the Org-mode file except for looking at the levels is a good thing because you can then later use another transformation to do whatever you want. But I guess that transformation code would actually have to be custom written and understand all of the properties of Org-mode files. So I am still wondering if it would be useful to have ev erything that is Org-mode specific translated into something more general.

- Carsten