[Emacs-orgmode] org-mode workflow

From: Austin Frank
Subject: [Emacs-orgmode] org-mode workflow
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 03:00:35 -0400

Hello!

I'm in the middle of actually getting my act together, and while I have been using org on and off for several months I have not yet fully integrated it into my day-to-day work.

I'd like to begin using org for keeping track of my notes and my tasks. As I set out to establish my org files, I find that I'm not sure how to proceed most effectively. I understand, of course, that the answers to these questions will vary from person to person, and that I will undoubtedly find a very specific configuration that fits me best. Still, if you're willing, will you share your thoughts on the following topics?

1) Do you find it to be more convenient to have one file per topic (research.org, personal.org, etc), or one directory per topic with more specific files within it (research/project1.org, personal/finances.org)?

2) Within an org file, do you find it more effective to maintain one tree for tasks and other trees for notes, or do you mix notes and tasks within the same trees?

3) If you use remember with org, what role does it play in your work flow? When do you find yourself reaching for a remember note instead of using an org link or editing an org file directly?

4) Does anyone use timeclock.el with org? Have you found other ways to track time allocation using built-in org functions?

5) What's the one trick you're most pleased to have discovered, or the one feature that changed your routine most once you began to use it?

If you feel that this discussion is not appropriate for the list, please feel free to email me off-list at this address.

Thanks for any help,
/au