[Emacs-orgmode] Re: Cyclic timestamps for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE

From: Dieter Grollmann
Subject: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: Cyclic timestamps for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 00:33:16 +0000 (UTC)

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 26, 2006, at 16:42, Dieter Grollmann wrote:
>
> > It seems, that org-mode does not allow timestamps like, for example,
> > <*-*-25>
> > (to match the 25th of every month) for SCHEDULED resp. DEADLINE? Of
> > course I can
> > do this with diary, but diary entries are not carried forward...
> >
> > Did I miss something in the manual?
>
> No, such a feature is currently not available in Org-mode.  For myself,
> I can't think of many applications for this.  Do you have concrete
> examples where you need this, together with scheduling?

It's difficult for me to explain this in english, I hope you will
understand what I mean :-)

My life as musician is split into a couple of different jobs.
There is teaching, which goes quite regular, although every day
is different and the schedule of lessons changes every six
months. This time-table goes NOT in Org, because I have it in my
mind, it's so to say my "daily life".

Besides teaching there are "big" events in irregular intervals,
for example concerts. These are extraordinary events which of
course are to schedule, mostly months or years in advance. Such
events are extremely absorbing and often I have to change my
daily life completely in view of them, some weeks or months in
advance. Then I live in a "state of emergency".

As third part of my life there are some cyclic tasks (meetings of
an association, comitee of the music school etc) which I normally
cannot defer or omit, even in "states of emergency".

Now, beeing in such a "state of emergency" everything is "out of
order" and my way of thinking changes completely. While I can
adapt my daily life (teaching), I cannot do the same with those
cyclic tasks. And it's often not easy for me to remember those
"profane" things while I'm doing such "big and important" things
like preparing a concert ;-)

So automatic scheduling or deadlining for cyclic tasks which
would insist on being displayed as TODO until I mark them as DONE
could be helpful for me in such times.

But of course ...

> Another way to deal with this is just creating a scheduled item and
> reschedule it to one month later when you are done.

... I can do so.

Perhaps one day, when you feel bored ... ;-)

Thank you for your great modes!

Dieter