Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: Cyclic timestamps for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: Cyclic timestamps for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 06:01:02 +0200

On Apr 28, 2006, at 18:23, Christian Egli wrote:

Yes I understand.  A very basic problem with cyclic scheduling is that
if you don't mark the entry DONE, then you can get many of those tasks
in your agenda.

But AFAIK this is only a problem because the scheduled tasks show up in
the "all currently open items" section. If scheduled items would no
longer show up there then this problem would not exist, wouldn't it?

No, this is unrelated. If you schedule an item for the 1st of May, and the same item again for the first of June, then from the first of June you will have two entries in your agenda for today, reminding you that you did not finish two things scheduled previously and not done yet.

Another problem is how to mark things DONE and still reschedule them next time. Imagine we had something like

*** TODO Buy fresh milk
    SCHEDULED: <*-*-01>

Lets say I get this entry in May and I finish it and mark it DONE. In the Org-mode way, this means that I have to change TODO to DONE:

*** DONE Buy fresh milk
    SCHEDULED: <*-*-01>

However, now it look like this thing is DONE and should never be scheduled again. Hmmm, this would really require a new piece of syntax.....

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam