Re: [Emacs-orgmode] org-publish future ?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] org-publish future ?
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 12:03:52 +0200

What I like about org-publish is that it is general, and really focusses on the essentials of just the publishing process, without intermingling these issues with the formatting issues. I believe you could publish muse files and bhdl files with org-publish, by just calling the appropriate functions or if necessary write a trivial wrapper around them. Maybe you could also publish Org-mode files with Muse, I am not sure.

I myself don't see Org-mode primarily as a publishing tool at all. The motivation for writing Org-mode was twofold:

- to get to a handle on the many things I need to do
- to collect all ideas that I had for writing plain text notes
  in Emacs into a single mode.  For me, Org-mode is vastly more
  convenient to use that any other text mode I know of.

David's org-publish gave me a one-key way to get these files on a webpage, something I use mostly internally to share notes with collaborators. Importantly, I can let it take care of also updating any additional files like source code that might have changed and need updating. That is exactly what I need.

About future development: I really like how basic and straight org-publish is. No need to create another monster. Maybe add a few more general publishing-functions (right now there are only two: org-to-html, and a plain copy for attachments) to save some users from writing their own. But the basic setup looks fine and complete to me.

- Carsten