Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: Org-mode 4.40

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: Org-mode 4.40
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:21:28 +0200

On Jun 28, 2006, at 13:45, Christian Schlauer wrote:

* Filling of text with negative numbers in column 0
In my texts, temperatures occur, like
-5 °C. Try to fill this paragraph with `M-q'.

Nice little bug!  Fixed, thanks.

* Timestamping
** <2006-08-03 Thu> Changing the date with <S-up/down> works

** [2006-06-28 Wed] Changing the date with <S-up/down> doesn't work
It isn't possible to change the date of inactive timestamps with
<S-arrow key>. Instead, priorities are added to the heading. I'd much
prefer to be able to change the date.

Hmmm. Yes, the rational thing behind this (which may not be very valid) is that [] time stamps are mostly used to *record* an event, and therefore the timestamps should not be
changed......   But I think you are right, it is not very intuitive.

** On a German Windows XP, I get German day names in timestamps
What I mean is that I get timestamps like [2006-06-28 Mi]. Is this
somehow configurable? I might write English, and then I want English
timestamps. (On an English Windows 2000 or an English GNU/Linux, both
with a German keyboard layout, I don't see this.)

I am not sure how exactly this works, but I believe this has to do with locales. There are 3 Emacs variables for this:

Variable: locale-coding-system
This variable specifies the coding system to use for decoding system error messages, for encoding the format argument to format-time-string, and for decoding the return value of format-time-string.

Variable: system-messages-locale
This variable specifies the locale to use for generating system error messages. Changing the locale can cause messages to come out in a different language or in a different orthography. If the variable is nil, the locale is specified by environment variables in the usual POSIX fashion.

Variable: system-time-locale
This variable specifies the locale to use for formatting time values. Changing the locale can cause messages to appear according to the conventions of a different language. If the variable is nil, the locale is specified by environment variables in the usual POSIX fashion.

If these are nil, then the locale is set somewhere in your environment. I don't know what legal values are, but I would suspect that you can set the above variables to change the weekday abbreviations in time stamps. Maybe this is enough of a pointer.....

Thanks.

- Carsten