[Emacs-orgmode] POLL: Anyone using CamelCase links?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Emacs-orgmode] POLL: Anyone using CamelCase links?
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:37:31 +0200

I've got a question for you:

I do have a number of requests to make linking between different org-mode files easier, so that it becomes simple to link between pages that may be published on the web. Most requests go into the direction of enabling CamelCase words as links to other pages.

The current way of linking to another page would be

   [[file:someotherfile.org][some other file]]

and the proposals I have seen would make SomeOtherFile to automatically be a link to this file.

Now, let me first say that I am not a big fan of using CamelCase links, because this system can easily cause inconsistencies, because scottish names and other thinks look like CamelCase, but should not become links.

However, I can see how it might be useful to have a simple way to connect to other pages.

CamelCase *can* be activated already in the current version of Org-mode, but then it leads to a text search in the current file. Personally I am not using it, and frankly I think this way to write a search is crap.

To make a long story short, I am considering to (optionally, of course) make CamelCase words links to other files, and I am hesitating because I don't want to break established behavior, even if it is crap.

So finally here is the question: Are you using the current implementation of CamelCase as a way to define in-buffer searches? If yes, do you rely on this feature?

Thanks.

- Carsten