[Orgmode] customize question

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: [Orgmode] customize question
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:10:53 -0600

Hi all,

   I'm afraid this might be more of an emacs question than an orgmode
specific question.  I'm trying to move my org-mode config out of my
.emacs as much as possible and into something a little more
compartmentalized.  I had tried to do as much as I could with #+, but
they can only go some far, and for security reasons, I think that is
probably good.

   Right now, my thinking is to have a lisp file that I can call from
.emacs to set everything I need for orgmode.  I'll have the org file
listed in a file instead of having it maintained in the .emacs.  I
won't have to keep common sections in the org files with file specific
configurations and I could even define dynamic blocks and hooks in my
configuration.  From the one lisp file I could get references to
any/all of the other files I would need to look at to copy, move or
back up my org setup.  I could also put non-org but project related
configurations in there like macros for inserting blank project forms.

   My question is, can I just move the settings from
(custom-set-variables ...) out into a separate file without
consequences?  I know I wouldn't be able to use custom the same way,
but I think I'd still prefer having it separate over having the
interface to change things.  I just didn't know if there was something
else magical about the variables maintained by custom.  If there is a
better answer, feel free to say so or point me at something to read on
the topic.

Thanks,
Edd