Re: [Orgmode] #+CATEGORY line being archived

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] #+CATEGORY line being archived
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:00:53 +0100

On Mar 18, 2007, at 17:09, Bastien wrote:

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

I found that if I do 'C-c C-x C-s' on headline "Done Task", all text
up to the next headline "CR" is archived. This clearly is not the
right behavior. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I had this problem before and I'm now using #+ARCHIVE like this:

,----
| * Head1
|   * Done Task
|
| * CR
| #+CATEGORY: CR
| #+ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* CR
|   * anything
`----

This is a fundamental problem, for which there are only work-arounds,
no solutions.  Because of the structure of an outline, there is no such
thing as a "location between sections".  So just like Bastien describes,
I also use work-arounds for this.  Two come to mind.

1. Bastiens proposal, i.e. placing the parameter lines after the top-level
heading.  This works as long as the top-level heading itself is never
pointed to by an agenda entry (the category would be wrong) and as long as
you neve atempt to archive the top-level heading itself.

2. If (1) is not good enough, the only way I see is to insert a
   "parameter section", like this:

,----
| * Head1
|   * Done Task
|
| * Params for the next file section
| #+CATEGORY: CR
| #+ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* CR
|
| * CR
|   * anything
`----

You could add an ARCHIVE tag to the parameter section, to keep it from opening.

- Carsten