Re: [Orgmode] Request: org as minor mode?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Request: org as minor mode?
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 13:30:51 +0200

Hi Raman

This is a complex question.

Of course one could define a minor mode that contains some of the org-mode commands. The main problem is key bindings. Major modes define their own keys, and I guess you don't want to have the minor mode override bindings from the major mode, except under special circumstances.

Orgtbl-mode deals with this challange in a special way. All the keys that are acting on tables are bound to a special function. That function first determines if the cursor is inside a table. If yes, the Org-mode table function is executed. If not, the minor mode is deactivated for a moment and the "other" binding of that same key, most likely set by the major mode or another minor mode will be executed.

I believe you would have to formulate your request much more narrowly: What Org-mode functionality would you like to have available in other modes? How should the minor mode decide if which function of a key to call. For example, you could say you mostly want the structure editing commands, when the cursor is on a headline or a plain list item.
But others might want the ability to put time stamps, or whatever.

So in order to realize such a minor mode, I would need a clear definition.

- Carsten