Re: [Orgmode] Idea: Agenda Search publish?

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Idea: Agenda Search publish?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:51:31 -0400

> On Apr 2, 2007, at 16:06, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
>> What about adding the generated searches as a publishable source?
>> possibly  by adding to
>> org-agenda-custom-commands.
>
> Would htmlize be enough to publish this, or do people have more fancy
> ideas about how this should work?

I'm a bit of mixed minds on this topic.

Unrealistic wishful thinking that I should implement my damn-self:

    Tag searches are always contexts for me.  If I want to export the
    results of a tag search, it's probably because I want to print a
    context that is not @Computer and put it in my planner.  The
    output ought to be something that eventually yields a PDF file
    that looks like a DIY Planner (http://www.diyplanner.com/) context
    page.

    Likewise, daily/weekly agenda views ought to yield DIY Planner-ish
    calendar pages.

    This is a totally non-serious proposal, because I expect anyone to
    have completely different preferences for from me, and it's not
    worth anyone else's time to implement exactly what I want :)

 Totally realistic, requires little work for anyone:

    Provide a utility function for calling htmlize on the agenda
    buffer and saving the results; doesn't need to be more integrated
    than that.  You can then generate somewhat naff PDFs which are at
    least the right paper size and so forth by printing from a web
    browser.

Alternative idea:

    Many people seem to be using scripts (orgna.pl, for example) to do
    this kind of thing, which seems to be perfectly reasonable.  Maybe
    a good idea would be to make it easier for scripts by letting
    org-mode handle the logic of selecting things, then just feeding
    the data to the script in a sensible format?

    org-batch-agenda /very nearly/ does this.  I think it could be
    improved as an adjunct to external script-writing by providing two
    things:

    1. An unambiguously parseable output format with some semantic
       content.  An XML microformat would do dandy for this, but
       something like adequately-escaped comma-separated text with
       defined columns for category, status, title, and tags would
       also do well enough.

    2. Support for arbitrary tag/keyword searches, though continued
       support for cmd-keys from org-agenda-custom-commands would
       still be conveient.

Anyone else's thoughts?

| Jason F. McBrayer                    address@hidden  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |