[Orgmode] Release: Org-mode 4.77

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Release: Org-mode 4.77
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 10:38:29 +0200

Hi, I am releasing org-mode 4.77, at

http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/

Enjoy!

- Carsten

Changes in version 4.77
-----------------------

* Overview

  - Vertical lines in exported tables.
  - New default for `org-show-following-heading'.

* Incompatible changes

  - The default for `org-show-following-heading' is now nil.

* Details

  - You can now specify column groups in tables, to the effect
    that the groups will be separated by vertical lines in HTML
    and ASCII output.  Column groups are specified by the
    characters "<" and ">" in a special table row.  "<" starts a
    group, ">" ends a group (in each case including the the
    column where the character is specified).  You may also use
    "<>" to make a group a single column wide.  For example:

        |   |  N | N^2 | N^3 | N^4 | sqrt(n) | sqrt[4](N) |
        |---+----+-----+-----+-----+---------+------------|
        | / | <> |   < |     |   > |       < |          > |
        | # |  1 |   1 |   1 |   1 |       1 |          1 |
        | # |  2 |   4 |   8 |  16 |  1.4142 |     1.1892 |
        | # |  3 |   9 |  27 |  81 |  1.7321 |     1.3161 |
     #+TBLFM: $3=$2^2::$4=$2^3::$5=$2^4::$6=sqrt($2)::$7=sqrt(sqrt(($2))

    A table row with with nothing but "/" in the first field is
    never exported, but can be used to place column group
    information into the table.  In this table, we create a
    group for column 2, one for columns 3-5 and one for columns
    6-7.  HTML and ASCII export will render a vertical line
    between these groups.

    Because HTML does not require closing <colgroup> tags with
    </colgroup>), you can also simply start a new column group
    wherever you want a vertical line:

        | N | N^2 | N^3 | N^4 | sqrt(n) | sqrt[4](N0 |
        |---+-----+-----+-----+---------+------------|
        | / | <   |     |     | <       |            |

  - Vertical lines are now also omitted in ASCII export, unless
    grouping explicitly requests these lines.

  - The default for `org-show-following-heading' is now nil,
    meaning that sparse trees will be more compact.  This has
    become possible due to in important remark by Jason Dunsmore
    who pointed out that TAB should behave differently in the
    inconsistent trees produced by the sparse tree commands.
    TAB does now make sure that the heading after a freshly
    unfolded tree is made visible at all, removing the confusing
    behavior we had before.

  - Several bugs fixed.  In particular:

    + Strings produced by agenda batch processing with
      `org-batch-agenda' and `org-batch-agenda-csv' are now
      properly encoded, so that you should be able to use
      special characters in other languages as along as your
      post-processing program handles them correctly.  At least
      for Emacs this should work now, but have not yet figured
      out how to do this in XEmacs.