[Orgmode] Re: Integration of Org mode and Gnus

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Integration of Org mode and Gnus
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:54:02 +0200

"Georg C. F. Greve" <address@hidden> writes:

>  >> If you could do that and submit it back to Gnus, that would be
>  >> great.
>
>  th> I just found out that this is not needed. You can use the
>  th> `gnus-summary-article-move-hook'. Each function of that hook will
>  th> be run with the arguments
>
>  th>     - action: move/copy/respool/crosspost
>  th>     - Some data vector, dunno its use...
>  th>     - original group
>  th>     - destination group
>  th>     - select method
>
>  th> So you could write a delegate function that first add-hooks a
>  th> function that sets a custom variable to the destination
>  th> group. Then it calls `gnus-summary-move-article'. When that
>  th> returns you can create the org-link and remove the function from
>  th> the hook again.
>
> I think I don't quite understand how this solves the problem.
>
> This sounds like I should set the target group dynamically in the hook
> when moving the article. But I can determine the group simply by
> calling
>
>    (gnus-summary-move-article nil "<GROUP>")

But `gnus-summary-move-article' is the one who asks you for the group
name when you do `B m' with some articles.

> So I know which group the articles end up in, but I don't know which
> article number they got in that group -- but that is the basic
> prerequisite to be able to link to them.

Uh, yes. I think I got you wrong. I thought you only needed the group
where the article was moved to.

Maybe you can use that and the message-id to link to the message without
requiring the registry. Have a look at Bastien's patch.

> I'm sorry to ask a question that may be stupid, but how would I get
> the article number(s) of the message(s) that have been moved by doing
> the above?

I don't have any clue. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo