Re: [Orgmode] proposal: defconst/defcustom org-tags-regexp

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] proposal: defconst/defcustom org-tags-regexp
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:14:12 -0500

On 7/19/07, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jul 19, 2007, at 15:08, Eddward DeVilla wrote:
> Does emacs let you manually compile a regular expression?  If so, it
> might be possible to recompile REs when ever they change.

This is not the issue.  Yes, Emacs compiles regular expressions
whenever necessary.  However, consider the following loop:

 I meant, could you store a compiled RE in a variable and use the
compiled form.  Then manually recompile them if someone changes the
uncompiled RE string.  This assumes you can store the compiled RE and
that there is a hook in custom to let you know it has changed.  We'd
probably want to have a function the regenerates all of org's REs and
allow others to hook into that to recompile their own REs.

 On the other hand, I just went digging through the elisp manual and
I didn't see anything that would generate a compiled RE to be stored
and (re)used later.  Bummer.  Maybe if I get bored, I might see if
performance is ok with the REs factored out, but I don't suspect I
would get good results.

Edd