Re: [Orgmode] Re: counter-intuitive key bindings

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: counter-intuitive key bindings
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:13:02 +0200

On Aug 15, 2007, at 18:57, Leo wrote:

On 2007-08-09 06:05 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
In this case, I feel there should a consistent definition of key
bindings. One excellent example is vc, it is just so easy to remember.

What do you mean with "consistent definition of key bindings".

I have been an regular user of org, and I have already forgotten that
S-up/down does priority change after one month's break.

I have been trying very hard to make the key bindings as logical
as possible - but there is a huge amount of commands in org,
and many keys are needed.

That said, the S-up/down for priorities does leas to a couple
of inconsistencies, in particular between agenda and org-mode buffers.

- Carsten

I know it is difficult to come up with good key bindings for so many
commands that org-mode has. That's why I gave the example of vc, which
has extremely excellent key bindings. I would never have to learn them a
second time. I hope someone can come up with something similar for org.

Well, this is not really a fair comparison, because vc has maybe 13
commands???  Sure, not too hard to make these stick in your head.

Obviously I have been trying to make the best key bindings I can.
Besides making them easy to remember you are of course limited
by Emacs conventions, and by the wish to avoid 3 keypress bindings for
speed.  And maybe some compromises because of the historical
development, to keep the habits of users.

I am certainly open for suggestions.

- Carsten

         Gnus is one component of the Emacs operating system.