Re: [Orgmode] include file contents in org files?

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] include file contents in org files?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:30:08 -0500

On 8/21/07, Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'd like to have the initial lines (configuration) of any org file be
> the same. Yes, I could configure everything in my .emacs file - but I
> want to see my configuration - TAGS etc. - at the beginning of my org
> files.
> If I change anything in for example the TAGS section I have to do the
> change in each and every org files I use - which is stupid.
> Is there a possibility to include a file and show it maybe between a
> ruler set?

I've wanted something like that myself so that my org files /could/
stand on their own, but so I would need to edit them all if my
preferred defaults were to change.  Ultimately, I've settled on having
an emacs config that I can move with my files.  At some point I want
to use a package (I can't remember the name) that can split custom
configuration into multiple files.

What might be nice is to be able to put a token at the top of the file
to export the config from custom (or as much as reasonable) into the
file using a config name.  So in custom you set a configuration name
(say eddwards-org-config) and at the top of your file you put

#+INLINE_CONFIG: eddwards-org-config

and org-mode would insert the configuration after it, replace any
config line that might already be there.  If the keyword in the file
doesn't match what is in custom or if there isn't a name given in the
file or custom, then do not insert anything in the file.  Org could
maybe update all of the agenda files as appropriate.

The reason for the name is so I can receive a file from someone else
(say my brother) and not have the config info in his file overlaid
with mine, distorting how he intended the file to be seen.  That would
cover my needs for org, but I'll still probably get a custom splitter
since I'm starting to use emace for more things and I have at least
three separate machine I use it on and I'd like to share some of the
customizations.

Edd