Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: Selective encryption

From: John Rakestraw
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: Selective encryption
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:34:14 -0400

Hi --

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:10:55 -0400
John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but one feature I'd like
> to see is the ability to hit a keystroke and have the current outline
> entry encrypted or decrypted.  allout.el does this now (although I
> find the implementation somewhat horrendous).
>
> Would others like to see this?  How would you like it to work?

I'd like to see this. Right now I'm using ccrypt
(http://ccrypt.sourceforge.net/) with the accompanying emacs package
jka-compr-ccrypt. My set-up is definitely workable, but it would be
nice to have something integrated within emacs.

As for how I'd like it to work, I'd like more or less what John W
describes -- encryption and decryption by a keystroke or short series
of keystrokes. I'd like to be prompted twice for a password or pass
phrase the first time I encrypt a file, and then to be asked for a
password or pass phrase when I open an encrypted file. I'd like it
to remember that password (assuming it's encrypted) so that I don't
have to re-enter it when I re-save an encrypted file. Of course, I'm
largely ignorant of how encryption works -- the FAQ on the ccrypt page
addresses some of the concerns knowledgeable people have. So I don't
know how easy/hard it is to do these things.

--
John Rakestraw