Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: Selective encryption

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: Selective encryption
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:04:59 +0200

On Aug 31, 2007, at 5:10, John Wiegley wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but one feature I'd like to see is the ability to hit a keystroke and have the current outline entry encrypted or
decrypted.  allout.el does this now (although I find the implementation
somewhat horrendous).

Would others like to see this?  How would you like it to work?

I do think this would be a useful feature. Some properties I'd find useful:

- Use symmetric encryption

- Be able to recognize if an entry is encrypted

- Leave the headline of the entry alone and only encrypt
  the text below it and the subtree, if present

- Support something like a CRYPT tag, leading to automatic
  encryption when the file is saved, to make sure
  encrypted entries are never saved in clear text.

- Use only a single password per file, so once one entry is decrypted,
  others will open without an additional password prompt.

Something like this.

- Carsten