Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: navigate history of folding views

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: navigate history of folding views
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 08:41:39 +0200

On Sep 3, 2007, at 19:23, William Henney wrote:

I missed this comment of Eddward's initially because I was on holiday...

On 7/11/07, Eddward DeVilla <address@hidden> wrote:
For my uses, what I would love is a way to have org-mode remember how
a subtree was folded so I could hide a subtree and then reopen it
later with all of it children exposed or hidden as they were before.
I like to use hiding for context in a project, but I get by without
it.

This is similar to something that I have often wished for: some sort
of history mechanism for the expose/hide states of a buffer. The ideal
interface would simply be for "C-_" (undo) to work on the folding
views. Is this at all feasible?

Not easily.  outline-mode uses overlays to hide parts of the buffer,
and overlay changes don't make it into the undo list.  Text property
changes would be undoable.

I guess storing the hiding state in some way is in principle
possible but a lot of work.  More-over, it would be hard to write
it in a way that it would this smoothly integrate into the normal
work flow.

- Carsten