Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 20:00:13 +0200

"T. V. Raman" <address@hidden> writes:

> It would be nice to have an interactive org-agenda-set-category
> alongside org-agenda-set-tag in the agenda buffer.

I think it doesn't make sense to have `org-agenda-set-category' until we
are able to set the category as a property of the headline.

For now categories (like the archiving locations) are set by looking
*backward* for a line like #+CATEGORY or #+ARCHIVE.

When setting the category with `org-agenda-set-category', where should
such a line be inserted/modified? Just above the headline? Then storing
this headline won't delete the #+CATEGORY line. Just under the headline?
Then the headline itself won't be recognized as belonging to that
category...  See the discussion here:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/2898

Please anybody stops me if I'm wrong, but I guess the #+ARCHIVE and
#+CATEGORY instructions are slowly dying and will be set as properties
in the future. We already (as of 5.07) have these new properties when
archiving:

  :ARCHIVE_TIME: 2007-09-01 sam 05:54
  :ARCHIVE_FILE: ~/org/bzg.org
  :ARCHIVE_CATEGORY: nothot

Then, in the new world, where such #+CONSTRUCTS are only used to set
*file* properties (not headlines properties), it will be okay to set
whatever property you want through the column view -- and perhaps the
column view itself would be available in the agenda ebuffer, which
would let you have your `org-agenda-set-category'.

(Of course #+CATEGORY will remain, but only as a way to categorize
files, not headlines.)

> This would allow one to quickly categorize tasks.

Yes, as the column view allows quick selection of *any* property.

> Later, it might also be nice to implement a function that say
> rearranges all todo entries of a particular category under a common
> section. I find myself doing this by hand at present, and Emacs will
> probably do it better than my fingers.

Maybe `org-sort-entries' could group entries that have a property in
common.

--
Bastien