Re: [Orgmode] running remember with emacsclient - how to get a new frame

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] running remember with emacsclient - how to get a new frame
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 09:08:20 -0400

pete phillips <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi
>
> I want to bind a keyboard key to run
>
>       /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs-snapshot  -e "(remember)"

I define this function in my .emacs:

(defun my-remember nil
  (progn (select-frame
          (make-frame '((name . "*Remember*") )))
         (raise-frame)
         (remember)))

And this additional code to close the frame if remember was opened in
its own frame:

(setq remember-all-handler-functions t)
(setq remember-handler-functions
      '(org-remember-handler
      (lambda nil
        (let* ((frame-names-alist (make-frame-names-alist))
               (frame (cdr (assoc "*Remember*" frame-names-alist))))
          (if frame
              (delete-frame frame t))))))

And use a script called 'remember' that runs:

emacsclient -n --eval '(my-remember)'

I've got quite a bit of other code to make emacsclient maximally
desktop-environment-friendly --- emacsclient always opening in new
frames, closing frames killing the associated buffer,
server-done closing the frame, a script to either start emacs or use
emacsclient as needed, running emacs with the initial frame unmapped,
letting you delete all visible frames, and a .desktop file that wraps
the aforementioned script.  One of these days I should package it all
up, but it's kind of all over the place.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    address@hidden  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |