Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: navigate history of folding views

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: navigate history of folding views
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:04:07 +0200

On Sep 6, 2007, at 17:00, William Henney wrote:

Perhaps there are other ways to achieve what I want. Here is a common
scenario where I have felt that a history of folding states would be
useful:

Say I am working on two or three small parts of a large org file. The
rest of the file is folded. At some point I need information from
elsewhere in the file, so I use "C-c /" to look for it. This creates a
sparse tree that wipes out the particular folding state that I had
originally created, so I now have to go back and search for the
contexts that I was working in. Not good!

One way that this could be improved (without implementing a history
mechanism) would be if sparse trees were always created in indirect
buffers, so the original view could be recovered.

Well, you can of couse also go into the to create the indirect buffer
yourself, before doing the tree.

 Would this be an
easier solution to implement? It seems that "C-c C-j" (org-goto)
already works in this sort of way (I only discovered org-goto a few
days ago and I am rapidly falling in love with it).

This is in fact exactly what org-goto was meant for, opening the otherwise
compact outline in several points, for easy going back and forth.

Another option would be to expand on the abilities of org-goto. I just
discovered that "C-s" works in the *org-goto* buffer, which is great.
If "C-c /" would work there as well, that would just about have me
covered. Even better with a key binding of just "/"

That is, actually, a very good idea.  Maybe we could also allow
setting the mark and copying the region, so org-goto could be used as
a general quickly-access-some-other-place command.  I'll do that.

Thanks!

- Carsten