Re: [Orgmode] Thanks

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Thanks
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:17:56 -0400

Hello everyone; sorry I have not been posting so much lately. But this
is a good opportunity to send out a shout to my fellow orgmoders.

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use this message thank all of your for your
> contributions to Org-mode.  Without you all, Org-mode would
> not nearly be what it is today.  In particular thanks to:

I would like to thank Carsten for Org-mode, and also I should thank
all the other people he is thanking now (including myself!?) :-)

> - The tutorial writers:
>   While Org-mode tries to make entering its world as easy as
>   possible with as little clutter as possible, it still has become
>   a large package with an huge number of features - easily confusing
>   and daunting to new users.  I think the impact of writing up your
>   own personal setup and way of using it for a particular task can
>   not be overrated.

I'm planning a second, bigger org-tutorial that presents a particular
TODO system. It will basically feel like the system I used in my last
job---which demanded all the organizational skills I could possibly
muster every day for almost two straight years---plus some newer
things I've learned from reading about GTD and other methods.

In particular I would like to try recording an audio/video
screencast. I have seen some impressive ones on Emacswiki.

But first I have to finish the other (still Emacs-related) tutorial
I'm writing:

http://dto.freeshell.org/e/cl-guide.html

> - The coders:
>   Some of you have written additions to Org-mode, in particular Bastien,
>   David and Piotr.  I really get a kick out of this.

I'm also planning to integrate org support into my new (beta) Emacs
Lisp project ( http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/Eon.html ). I will
definitely ask Carsten to help me interface them, as we did for
org-publish.el.

As for org-publish, the new LaTeX support is nice. I'm not sure what
is coming next for org-publish.el, perhaps people can suggest ideas. I
can think of at least one: I want both the ability to export to LaTeX
(and then to PDFs with hyperlinks) AND to make a PDF whose styles come
directly from your CSS. At one point I was working with an HTML->PDF
exporter that had great-looking output; unfortunately it is
implemented as a PHP CGI, so you need to have Apache running even to
use it. I never could get it working properly with org, but perhaps
there are other programs out there now.

--
David O'Toole
address@hidden