Re: [Orgmode] Re: Release: Org-mode 5.09

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Release: Org-mode 5.09
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:36:55 +0200

Nuutti Kotivuori <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien wrote:
>> The only thing that still tickles me here is that the *default* priority
>> is not the *easiest* to assign.  So why not this:
>
> I've never understood what's the difference between a line with the
> default priority and a line without a priority at all.

Depends on what "default" stands for.   It can be either:

1. the first available state when setting priorities
2. the default state you *want* to use when you need to set a priority;
3. the state that neither increase or decrease the priority rating

>  That is, with
> the default settings:
>
> * [#B] Foo
> * Bar
>
> Are these not equivalent in priority sorting?

For sorting with org-sort, yes. But I use this convention that any item
that has a priority - even the default priority - should be done before
other items.  For example:

* [#A] Foo
* [#B] Bar
* [#C] Fooo
* Baar

In this case, * Baar and * [#B] are not equivalent.

> If so, why should the default priority be ever explicitly said?

To quickly be able to choose this default priority when cycling? :)

--
Bastien