[Orgmode] Re: Gnus links very slow to open

From: Leo
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Gnus links very slow to open
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:59:44 +0100

Dear Dan,

Sorry to get back to this email so late.

On 2007-09-08 22:26 +0100, Dan Griswold wrote:
> Leo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I wonder if anyone who stores Gnus links in org find that opening links
>> is extremely slow as it calls `gnus' every time.
>
> Are you using org-nnml.el? I find that this works quite well. In fact,
> without it I would find gnus links unusable, because I use many nnml
> folders in Gnus. With org-nnml, a link to your message looks like
> this:
>
> [[gnus:nntp%2Bnews.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode#3117][Email from Leo:
> Gnus links very slow to open]]
>
> and executing that link from an org file is fast.

I am not using org-nnml but the problem is still there.

Upon opening a link, org calls gnus-other-frame which would try to get
new emails first and then switch to the group buffer.

The time it takes is getting new emails. I know many Gnus users can not
stand the speed and single-threadedness of Gnus and have been using 3rd
party application such as fetchmail to retrieve emails. However, it is
completely unnecessary to retrieve new emails when opening Gnus link.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

                                                 I use GNU Emacs  <=
                              http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/  <=