Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-toc.el - browsable table of contents for Org

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-toc.el - browsable table of contents for Org
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:21:27 +0200

Renzo Been <address@hidden> writes:

>> But I like the idea of having some kind of margin, just as linum.el does
>> for line numbers:
>> http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0225855/linum/linum.html
>
> Yes, I had a look at linum, and it looks like a good mechanism that can be of
> use in the TOC. If you could make such a margin, that would be great for the
> TOC...
>
>> What kind of information you would like to be displayed in this margin?
>> (Remember there is org-toc-info already, so the margin and the echo-area
>> should work in a complementary way.)
>
> Maybe the margin could display how many sub-headings are below the heading
> that
> shows in the TOC? Or how many lines of text there are folded inside it? Or
> the
> number of TODO's that are below it?

Please check latest org-toc.el (0.9a):

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/org-toc.el

,----[ org-toc-margin-default-format ]

`----

> Or maybe it's better to keep things simple. And put no extra
> information in the margin?

The default for the margin is "", since I also think it's better to not
display too much information by default.

> Just put two or three symbols (ones that do not conflict with org-mode)
> there, to make the TOC display distinguishable from the base-buffer. You
> could
> use a symbol from the utf-8 coding table. I've put some examples here:
>
> http://swangdoodles.googlepages.com/Unicodes-for-org-toc.html

I added a new background for the TOC. Please tell me what do you think.

> What happens is that the TOC-buffer does open. But it is opened as a full
> view
> buffer,
> not as a split screen together with the org-file

I will investigate, thanks.

> What might also be handy is to limit the size of the TOC-buffer. Right
> now, what happens when I'm in a large org-file, and use the TOC, is
> that it takes over half the screen...

For now I just rely on shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer, which seems
fine to me. But If people think we should force a max size for the TOC,
let me know.

--
Bastien