Re: [Orgmode] A puzzle to solve: saved categories vs. tags

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] A puzzle to solve: saved categories vs. tags
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:09:05 +0200

On Oct 7, 2007, at 14:27, Bastien wrote:

If Carsten implements this, I think all the search facilities in Org
will need a bit of uniformization/clarification.

Admittedly the search functions are one of the areas that
demonstrate most clearly how Org-mode has grown and evolved,
adding little things.

  For now we have:

| key     | function             | knows about    | C-u              |
|---------+----------------------+----------------+------------------|
| C-c /   | org-occur            | regexp         |                  |
| C-c \   | org-tags-sparse-tree | tags, and more | restrict to TODO |
| C-c C-v | org-show-todo-tree   | todo keywords  | ask for keyword  |

A few ideas about this:

1. I tend to use C-c \ a lot than C-c / -- but I find the C-c / key much
   more convenient.  I guess it's far too late to switch, but still.

I guess you use a French keyboard? On mine both are equally easily accessed.

2. AFAIK org-tags-sparse-tree is more powerful than org-show-todo-tree.
   If we add the possibility to build interactive queries, it will
   definitely become *the* universal search interface for Org.

That is true, but newbies will start with simple things, and it
is good to have simple commands to start off.

Thanks for the list of search options, a good start.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam