Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically

From: pete phillips
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:53:42 +0100

    Carsten> First, let me say that I was surprised that quite a few
    Carsten> people are so keen to see this kind of features.  I myself
    Carsten> would worry a lot about spending more time to set up and
    Carsten> maintain these connections, than I would be saving by using
    Carsten> them.  And I am not sure if Org-mode really scales up
    Carsten> nicely when it comes to really large projects, large number
    Carsten> of people interacting, keeping complex GANTT charts up to
    Carsten> date etc.  Me, I have sometimes made these charts during an
    Carsten> initial project setup, to get a feeling what amount of time
    Carsten> and resources would be needed, but I have never kept these
    Carsten> complex structures alive and up to date.

I have to say that I'm a bit worried if org-mode goes in this direction.

Just because Carsten may be able to beat it into shape to do this
(albeit in very elegant lisp), it doesn't mean he should.

org-mode developed as a means of maintaining lists, and it excels at
this. Just because the GTD methodology uses the term Project doesn't
mean that we should turn org-mode into a fully fledged project planning
application. If you need project planning capability, then you probably
need all the bells and whistles that go with it - GANT and PERT charts,
critical path calculations, multi-user capabilities etc.

My concern is that *very* few people need that type of functionality,
and if you do, there are now some very good applications now under
GNU/Linux to choose from.

org-mode is a superb PIM and list manager (in my view, probably about
the best there is). Just because we have one incredible hammer, let's
not start seeing everything else as a nail!

Just a personal viewpoint of course.  :-)

Pete