Re: [Orgmode] Categories

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Categories
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:14:04 +0200

On Oct 13, 2007, at 14:22, Richard G Riley wrote:

On Oct 12, 2007, at 19:20, Richard G Riley wrote:
I have a possible bug here (5.12). When embedding the CATEGORY as a
property e.g in my org file

Yes, logging state changes is broken in 5.12, *#$&*&#&$.

Fixed in 5.12c, thanks.

,----
|  '(org-agenda-custom-commands
|    (quote (
|          ("d" org-todo "DELEGATED" nil)
|            ("c" org-todo "DONE|DEFERRED|CANCELLED" nil)
|            ("w" org-todo "WAITING" nil)
|          ("W" agenda ""
`----

I took this from a tutorial out there in google land.

What an innovative way of totally misusing org-agenda-custom-commands.
`C-c a d' will indeed change a TODO state, something
org-agenda-custom-commands
was not designed for (and which I do not recommend...)!

But "c" will not work, the symbol for creating a TODO list is
`alltodo', not `org-todo'.

I'm not sure I understand, but I will remove this regardless. Why are
you mentioning creating a TODO list?

All the commands in org-agenda-custom-commands are intended to
create some kind of list, either an agenda view, or a sparse tree.
But, since in the end they call a function, someone has used this
to create commands to directly jump to a state.

 The commands above are "jumpt to
state commands - not create commands. So, if the code I cribbed above is
not correct, how is the best way to add commands to agenda mode - its
not obvious how to jump straight to a state as opposed to cycling to it
manually with all the note prompts that come with that flow.

The recommended way is to set up keys for the TODO keywords like this:

#+SEQ_TODO: TODO(t) WAITING(w) | DONE(d)

(you can also do this in lisp customization)

If you then call C-c C-t with a prefix arg (i.e. C-c C-c C-t)
you can directly jump to any state.  If you like that a lot,
you can even get this interface without the prefix argument, by
setting the variable org-use-fast-todo-selection to t.

- Carsten