Re: [Orgmode] FR: toggling timestamps active/inactive

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FR: toggling timestamps active/inactive
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 06:44:25 +0200

On Oct 16, 2007, at 18:22, Adam Spiers wrote:

Rick Moynihan (address@hidden) wrote:
Adam Spiers wrote:
Hi Carsten,

Another simple idea - subject line is pretty much self-explanatory I
think: would be great to be able to toggle timestamps between [] and
<>.

Why?  Say I have an event in my diary.org file, and am subsequently
told my presence at the event is no longer necessary.  Consequently I
would like to keep it in the file for reference, to track colleagues'
movements or in case my presence is re-required, but I don't want the
event to appear in the agenda.

By the way, I probably could have coded this in the time it took to
write the mail, but I thought that until I've sent a piece of paper to
the FSF assigning rights for code contributed to org-mode and emacs,
it would be better to let Carsten write it. Is that correct or flawed
thinking?

This seems like a good idea.  Another related one occurred to me today
(if it's necessary) which is toggling between the two list indicators.

e.g.

- foo
- bar
  - baz |<-- Point

This cammand does exist, it is `C-c -'.

Calling the toggle-list-indicator function at the point will cause the
list indicator to change from a - to a + (and vice versa).

Nice idea!  Or even between - and *** at the current level.  Maybe
that should cycle.  Or maybe there are already existing keybindings
which distinguish between new - and *** entries?  M-RET doesn't always
DWIM, personally.

When you are in a list, M-RET makes the next list item, C-u M-RET makes
the next section, and C-RET does the same - even if for different reasons.

In what sense does M-RET not DWYM?

- Carsten