Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode version 5.13

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode version 5.13
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:42:13 +0200

So, does everybody agree that I should remove the class from the divs again?

- Carsten

On Oct 22, 2007, at 11:38 PM, Mike Newman wrote:

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:30:29 +0100
Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello all,

    - The table of context is wrapped into a div with a class
      "table-of-contents".

This should be "id", not "class", since there is only one instance of
the table of contents - fixed in the proposed patch.

I think that class is the right thing here. We are saying that this is
a "table-of-contents" rather than this is the "table-of-contents".  I
believe at present there is no mechanism to give more than one table of
contents, but someone, sometime might want tables of contents for
individual sections of a document.

    - The outline structure is embedded in <div> elements with
      classes "outline-1", "outline-2" etc.

Classes are ok here.

This appears to be logical, but is in fact (I think) redundant. We can
specify the style to applied at different levels without using
class attributes.  For example:

   div { background-color: lightgray}
   div > div { background-color: peachpuff}
   div > div > div { background-color: green}

shows how different styling can be applied to level 1, level 2 and
level 3 (and above).

I think this has advantages (e.g. inheritance of unspecified
characteristics from higher levels) and leaves the class attribute free
to represent styling that is independent of the structure.

--
Mike