Re: [Orgmode] FR: more flexible customization of org-agenda-custom-comma

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FR: more flexible customization of org-agenda-custom-commands key bindings
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:06:03 +0100

On  28Oct2007, at 3:42 PM, Bastien wrote:

Adam Spiers <address@hidden> writes:

If the idea is just to re-display the *Org agenda* buffer

Correct. It's effectively a more generic version of "Press `C-u r' to
search again with new search string".

So why not just make `C-u r' call the *agenda commands* buffer back when
the current agenda view is produced by (org-agenda-list)?

Then `C-u r' will have the same meaning across all possible types of
agenda views, i.e. call `org-agenda-redo' and wait for more information on how to refine the current view. Which means: call back `org- agenda'
if the last command was `org-agenda-list'.

This is not possible, because the prefix argument is needed to be passed to the
command that is executed by the "r" command.

I think it will be hard to have a simpler keystroke than `C-x b' :)
But anyway, I guess your point is to have some Org internal command for
this function -- which would also avoid the problem with ido.el.

We could use "e" for "execute agenda command"?

I can't think of a good mnemonic for binding any of these to this
operation.  My preferred solution would be the following, though I
would understand if it was rejected on the grounds of being too
disruptive to what users are used to:

- rebind 'r' to this operation, since 'redo' or 'repeat' is the most
    obvious mnemonic,

  - rebind 'g' to `org-agenda-redo', since 'g' is a universal emacs
    keybinding meaning 'refresh the current buffer display', and

  - bind 'G' to `org-agenda-toggle-time-grid', since this is a less
    frequent operation and hence can be moved to the chord "shift-G"
    without causing hassle.

I do agree with the last two, "g" should indeed be the refresh command.
However, I'm hesitating to change the "r" binding, I believe that many people
(including me) are too used to this key binding.

- Carsten