Re: [Orgmode] handling cyclic tasks (general question)

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] handling cyclic tasks (general question)
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 11:42:45 +0000

Hi Stuart,

Stuart McLean <address@hidden> writes:

> Following is an example of the setup I currently have.

Your setup might be difficult to maintain because of its chronological
structure.  I don't know if other people use Org this way or have used
it this way, but I think it could be hard to maintain... usually your
Org files will be project-oriented (or task-oriented) and you will use
the agenda and timeline functions to display information time-wise.

But maybe I'm wrong here, or you may specifically need this structure.

> Now, at the end of each month, e.g 2007-11-30, I have a heading on the
> same level called Cyclic Todo. These contain things that I need to do
> everyday, and need to remember to do everyday. I end each with a
> closing note when I do them.

> What I would like to know, are there more elegant solutions for
> accomplishing this?

Usually, closed entries get archived at some point.  The general issue
you're raising here is: how to archive closed instances of cyclic tasks?

Here is how I do it:

- I close the cyclic task
- I add a note if needed
- I archive the task with C-c C-x C-s
- I copy the task back at point with C-y

Then, instead of having the same task with loooongs notes under its
headline, I have several archived instances of the task with a note
for each of them.

I'm quite okay with the workaround above, but it has two drawbacks:

- it's safer to C-y immediately (otherwise you'll struggly to find the
  right thing to yank)

- each archived task has the same headline (which might be confusing
  when reviewing (?) your archives

I don't know if other people already came across the same need and other
workarounds.

> Is anyone willing to share their particular setup, or examples of
> variations. I find my current setup a little cumbersome.

Argh... we definitely need to demonstrate different setups in the
tutorial section of http://orgmode.org :-/

--
Bastien