Re: [Orgmode] Re: undo in org.el

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: undo in org.el
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:12:05 +0100

On  13Nov2007, at 9:58 PM, Leo wrote:

On 2007-11-13 15:37 +0000, Carsten Dominik wrote:
[...]
If that was a call to Xemacs users to identify themselves, then here
is one. Even though it is in the Emacs CVS tree now should not turn it
into an Emacs only tool IMHO.

Well, the fact that it is in Emacs CVS has not kept me from supporting
XEmacs for quite a while now.  But it is extra work and requires
catering for missing features and different implementations - so it is
important for me to know that this is used and still appreciated.

How about someone stepping forward and trying to release an XEmacs
package containing noutline.el and org-mode?  Anyone who feels up to
this?  Because I will not have the time.

- Carsten

I think org 5.13 (or maybe 5.14) can be used by XEmacs users for
foreseeable feature. Remember XEmacs is packaging quite a few outdated
package anyway such as AUCTeX (11.5x).

If no one steps up for this task, we should start thinking of moving
forward anyway.

I am not sure what you mean by "moving forward". Sure, the world can survive withoout an XEmacs package for Org-mode.

However, even if the package would not be up-to-date, it would be nice if XEmacs users would get some version simply with the sumo tarball. Would lower the the entry borders quite a bit in my opinion. Lets not forget that not everyone is as happy to download a new version of a package frequently as we are here...

Anyway, just a thought. I will continue to support XEmacs as much as I can, within the limits of available time. But that support already has some holes, most importantly columns view does not work with it and the difficulties to make it work are so substantial that I am not expecting to ever get around to it.

We should all thank Gregory Chernov again for porting noutline to XEmacs - without that I would have given up long ago.

- Carsten