Re: [Orgmode] FR: make C-c C-c for storing remember notes optional

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FR: make C-c C-c for storing remember notes optional
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:15:11 +0000

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 12:33:09PM +0100, Bastien wrote:
> Adam Spiers <address@hidden> writes:
> > I'm certainly not suggesting making it the default - only to make it
> > possible to enable this behaviour for selected remember templates.
> > But since I get SO many emails every day, I really need to be able to
> > apply the 2-minute rule of GTD: if the mail requires > 2 minutes of
> > attention, I need to be able to convert it into a TODO (linking by
> > message id via the org-mairix stuff) and archive it safely in the
> > _absolute_minimum_ number of keystrokes.  Otherwise I am constantly in
> > the "processing" phase of the workflow and never get to the "planning"
> > and "doing" phases - then the whole system fails miserably :-)
>
> Okay.  Then each template would have now six elements, the last one
> specifiying whether it should be automatically processed or not (being
> nil by default).

Yes, that's what I had in mind too.

> Whether there are %^{prompt} constructs might be not relevant here: even
> for plain templates we might want not to have to C-cC-c them for them to
> be remembered, right?

Agreed.

> Say for example that you have a template associated with the key "m" and
> this key binding:
>
> (global-set-key [(control meta r)] (lambda () (org-remember nil "m")))
>
> The "m" template doesn't require C-cC-c.  If there is %^{prompt} you do
> C-M-r then interactively enter the info at the prompt, then you're done.
> If there is no %^{prompt} you just C-M-r and you're done (you don't need
> to actually *see* what you want to remember...)

Yes, exactly.

> I think this would be nice.  But I guess you see my point about
> cancelling : with a %^{prompt} it's possible to C-g, but not when there
> is no %^{prompt} -- which might be a bit dangerous..

It doesn't seem particularly dangerous to me: you still have the
option of 'undo' within the destination file, and even if you choose
not to, at worst you have a new entry which you can later delete.
It's not like you're at risk of losing existing data.

> I hope Carsten will soon stumble on this :)

/me sends good system restoration karma to Carsten over the ether :-)