Re: [Orgmode] emacs on the N800

From: Daniel M German
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] emacs on the N800
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:48:27 -0800

 Tim> AFAIK the Apple BT keyboard, is a standard BT HID device. I tested it
 Tim> myself against my cell phone. I also tested that weird laser keyboard,
 Tim> but it requires some setup-configuration to work properly and AFAIK
 Tim> the config client is windows only. I have a thinkoutside BT HID
 Tim> profile keyboard and it works fine with my n800. I even have a
 Tim> nonstandard 'freedom' BT keyboard, but i saw that it can be added with
 Tim> some mucking about in xmodmap i think.

 Tim> A 'real' USB keyboard could be added, you need to flip the usb into
 Tim> host mode - which can be done in debug mode. The problem is it needs
 Tim> to be externally powered. The n800 does not have the USB power line
 Tim> connected - probably because it was designed as a client device.

It depends on the keyboard. Some wired keyboards will work out of the
box. I personally use a logitech wireless keyboard (non-blue tooth). I
plug in the transceiver to the N800 and it works without any extra
power. The keyboard has its own batteries. Others have reported
success with small USB keyboards.

 Tim> I would be interested in playing with emacs and org on an n800 as
 Tim> well, but without a keyboard, i just don't see it being any use.

It is very useful for remember, even with the virtual keyboard, and to
browse files. It is better, IMO, than its own file editors.

 Tim> Tim.

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/