Re: [Orgmode] hotkeys for org in gnome

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] hotkeys for org in gnome
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:32:58 +0000

Rustom Mody (address@hidden) wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2007 6:32 AM, Adam Spiers <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 11:30:52PM +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > > If anyone finds a way of streamlining this please post it!
> >
> > If it's the -c you don't like, you can always dump the commands in a
> > script.  That's nice because it gives you more breathing space to do
> > things like error checking on the exit code of the wmctrl.
> >
> What I dont like is having to use a shell call for some functionality that
> is almost certainly available under elisp.

Why not?  The operation you're talking about (find an emacs, and
ensure it is visible and focused) is more related to the window
manager and X11 environment, so to me it makes much more sense to use
wmctrl than look for some elisp.  Plus, wmctrl is easy and already
works, so why look for an alternative?  I certainly wouldn't class
this solution as an ugly hack; the only slightly ugly thing is
embedding sh -c somewhere, but as I already pointed out, that is
easily surmountable.