Re: [Orgmode] CATEGORY in different levels

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] CATEGORY in different levels
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:43:46 +0100

Hi Sven,

#+CATEGORY applies to the lines *below* it, independent of
outline tree structure.  That is why you are getting
"Sociology-Article" for your "Emacs installation task: it
is the nearest #+CATEGORY line *above* this headline.

#+CATEGORY is only kept for backward compatibility, you probably
should not use it for changing the category in the middle
of a file, much less in the middle of a complex tree.

Properties give much more consistent results.  The :CATEGORY: property
applies to the entry headline above it, and to the entire tree below
it (unless locally overwritten by another property).

Everything works fine if I change your example to:

* Teaching
 :PROPERTIES:
 :CATEGORY: Teaching
 :END:
** Sanskrit I (WS08)                        :PROJECT:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: Sanscrit I
  :END:
*** NEXT Look for Introductions             :LIBRARY:
*** NEXT Borrow the chosen books            :LIBRARY:
*** NEXT Ask students for convenient date   :EMAIL:
** History of Indian Religion (WS08)        :PROJECT:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: Indian Religion
  :END:
*** Plan part on Buddhism                   :MILESTONE:
**** NEXT Look for Books                    :LIBRARY:
**** NEXT Chose readings for students       :OFFICE:
*** Plan part on Hinduism                   :MILESTONE:
**** NEXT Look for books                    :LIBRARY:
* Misc Office
 :PROPERTIES:
 :CATEGORY: Misc Office
 :END:
** Proofread Sociology-Article              :PROJECT:
 :PROPERTIES:
 :CATEGORY: Misc Office
 :END:
*** NEXT Make a printout                    :COMPUTER:
** Install Emacs on every colleague's PC    :PROJECT: