Re: [Orgmode] Re: CATEGORY in different levels

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: CATEGORY in different levels
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 08:32:41 +0100

On Feb 7, 2008, at 12:31 AM, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

Hi Jost

Jost Burkardt <address@hidden> writes:

Sorry to correct you, but the result is correct. As Carsten said:

The :CATEGORY: property applies to the entry headline _above_ it, and to
the entire tree below it

So in your example

* Teaching
:PROPERTIES:
:CATEGORY: Teaching
:END:
** Sanskrit I (WS08)                        :PROJECT:
 :PROPERTIES:
 :CATEGORY: Sanscrit I
 :END:

the ":CATEGORY: Sanscrit I" applies to the entry _above_, i.e.

** Sanskrit I (WS08)

and  the  ":CATEGORY: Teaching" is overridden. The TODO
entries in your file are _below_  ":CATEGORY: Sanscrit I"
so they will show up fine.

Think of the PROPERTIES as an attribute of the entry above.

Ok, I understand now. Thanks for explaining.

What I want to do seems quite simple and natural to me. What would be
the org-way to get my desired output? Can I use two different property
keywords, one for areas and one for projects? How do other people do
it?

There are three ways to do what you want.

1. Put a CATEGORY property into every child of "Sanscrit I"
2. Work around it with a "Teach/Sanscrit I" category
2. Change what you *want* by realizing that it is actually a good
   convention what we have right now.

- Carsten