[Orgmode] Re: list indentation

From: cezar
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: list indentation
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 07:26:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 08:17:10 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> I don't quite understand yet what you mean.  Please try to explain
> again.
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Feb 9, 2008, at 1:29 AM, cezar wrote:

>>> Hi Cezar,
>>>
>>> Org-mode tries its best to guess what you mean and then do it.
>>> However,
>>> it is not a true mind reader, and it cannot know how you intend your
>>> lists to be structured.  This structure you show is valid and might
>>> just
>>> as well be what you mean.
>>>
>>> However, Org-mode helps you to create the lists either way. What you
>>> probably did is (I am guessing here):
>>>
>>>     - type "And another list"
>>>     - press RET to get a new line
>>>     - press TAB to indent, Org assumes that you want to continue
>>>       text as *part* of he current item.
>>>     - type "-" to make a new item
>>>     - press TAB in the hope that the line would be outdented
>>>       to match your intended structure.  Bummer.  Org keeps the
>>>       structure because it assumes by setting the indentation, this
>>> is
>>>       what you mean.
>>>
>>> What you could have done
>>>     - type "And another list"
>>>     - press RET to get a new line
>>>     - type "-" to make a new item
>>>     - press TAB to indent, now org-mode matches up the "-"
>>>       with the previous ones, because before indenting the line you
>>>       told it that you intended it to be an item in time.
>>>
>>> What you really should have done
>>>     - type "And another list"
>>>     - M-RET to create the next item.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps
>>>
>>> - Carsten

>> My problem is that "Another list" is indented (because it's under a
>> list
>> element row). So what I'd want is org-mode to know that/when the list
>> ends which is at the end of the line (maybe use a dot)
>>
>> Thank you for explaining.
>>
>> Cezar

I have this TODO:

** TODO Meeting with John Doe
   regarding the job interview
   some skills they would like
   - html
   - css
   - unix
     address: 102 str. Blah foo, CA
     phone: 1111111

I would like to somehow make org aware that the list ends after "- unix"
and that what follows are not part of the list, meaning pressing TAB
should not move the cursor under "u" form unix.

Regards,
Cezar