Re: [Orgmode] Re: list indentation

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: list indentation
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 21:55:40 -0600

On Feb 9, 2008 7:09 PM, William Henney <address@hidden> wrote:
> But it causes problems to allow the same marker to be used at the
> start and end. For instance, consider the following:
>
> -----
> - item one
> - item two
> ----- <- point is on this line
>
> When I hit TAB, how is org to know whether the "-----" is supposed to
> start a new sublist (and so should be indented 3 spaces) or is meant
> to end the preceding list (and so should not be indented)?

True.  I wasn't counting on tab to always get that right.  I usually
hit M-RET for a sibling entry and M-RET M-right for a sub list  I was
counting on the indent to determine if it was a sub-list.  Otherwise,
it doesn't matter if it's and end or beginning, at least in my mind.
Once I set an indent, I'd like it to stay though.  I have folding
lists, so I probably don't appreciate some of the issues.  When I hit
tab on an existing item, it folds or unfolds.

> That is why I proposed that IF we are to have both start and end
> markers, THEN they need to be distinct. However, I now think that it
> would be better to just have end markers. Personally, I would prefer
> "-/" for the XMLish feel. My objections to "-----" are

I'm afraid you won't win me over with xml.  I'm not fond of it.

> 1. It is hard to remember (was it 5 dashes or 4?)

I'd say five or more and left org format it.  But then again, I'm not
really tied to it.  The hline was my first guess at something.  It
puts it in a box.  I kind of like that.  I'll probably find a case
where I wouldn't though.

> 2. It is a pain to type when you have the "tex" input method turned on

I can't argue that.  I've never used the tex input method.

> 3. It conflicts with existing usage (sec 12.6.5 of the manual)
>
>    * A line consisting of only dashes, and at least 5 of them, will be
>      exported as a horizontal line (`<hr/>' in HTML).

Actually, I was thinking of having an indented hline to box in the
list, but again that may be plain wrong.  Also, I thought the hline
had to start at the beginning of the line.  My mistake.

In any case, I'm just trying to come up with something  that does the
job but is not an eye sore in the org buffer.  I'm looking for
something that visually looks like a natural footer or terminator in
plain text.  (And a footer ought to be able to be preceeded by a
header.)  I know the significance of the '/' in xml, but visually, it
doesn't look right to my eyes.  Aside from the meaning in xml code, it
does say end-of-list to me.  If anything, it seems to connect the
preceeding and proceeding text, like this/that.  The dashes draw a
dividing line.

Edd